Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: Man, jnorv can pack!

  1. #11
    Inactive Member Leland's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2009
    Posts
    110
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Man, jnorv can pack!

    Hi Mustang Marvin,

    I believe the Altec 811 is one solid cast....or perhaps two halves welded together....no throat....or rather the throat is built into the horn itself.

    If you look at some of the older horns....the throat is the piece between the horn and the driver. Plus there are various adapters and such re: to make a 1" driver fit on a 1 1/4" throat. Originally back in the 40's these were cast out of brass (bronze)....then after the War they were cast out of aluminum.

    Thanks for your comment about my web site. I really need to get it up and running with a WWW address....the googlepages is OK....but confusing with only the http address.

  2. #12
    Inactive Member doucanoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 5th, 2007
    Posts
    34
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Man, jnorv can pack!

    Quote Originally Posted by Leland View Post
    Hey Doucanoe, What would you think of reproduction throats?

    I'm considering starting a little side line in bronze cast throats for horn users. Of course still need an original to make a mold from...

    leland.design.studio - leland . design . studio

    My web site needs a lot of work....but you get the idea.

    Do you think people would buy a well made reproduction....or not?

    I believe there would be interest although I'm not sure how great the demand would be. I'm not sure how you would go about deciding on which ones to do also. There are more than a handful of them as you know.

    Just to give you some perspective, I passed on a pair of cast reproductions of the 30166 a couple of years back. They appeared to be very well constructed and the seller was asking $200 for them.

    Not sure what you could get for reproductions but if that auction was representative, A whole lot I guess I honestly think it was an anomaly though.

    RC

  3. #13
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Man, jnorv can pack!

    Leland,

    Is that your set-up on your site?? if so WOW!!..... care to divulge exactly what you have there?


    later


    -chris

  4. #14
    Senior Hostboard Member Mustang Marvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 3rd, 2009
    Location
    Trussville, Alabama
    Posts
    209
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Man, jnorv can pack!

    Yes, WOW what a system. It looks like horn heaven. The more I view this forum, the more I realize just how little I know.

  5. #15
    Inactive Member Leland's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2009
    Posts
    110
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Man, jnorv can pack!

    Ha Ha....thanks but no, not mine. I copied it off the web as a good example of Horn Heaven.

    Those speakers are known as the "DIY divorce speakers" and if you google that, they should come up and you can read all about the specs....dual Altec 1005 I believe...and a lot more.

    Someday....maybe I'll have a set-up like that....but the other picture of the jammed storage unit is more the truth.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.